Search engine optimization or SEO is the process of optimizing websites to achieve higher rankings from Google’s algorithm.
According to Greg Gifford, the internet is just a gigantic set of pages that are connected by links. He compares the internet to a city, where each website is a home and within that home each room is a page on the site. There are many houses in the neighborhood, and they’re all connected by roads which are the links that bring everything together. This is the World Wide Web.
The first search engines were born because there was so much information on the web, it was difficult to find anything in these “cities”. The creators of Google developed a search engine based on advanced algorithms that analyzed almost every single page on the web using spiders that crawl and inspect almost everything that is online. These algorithms are updated regularly and analyze hundreds of items per website. These algorithms rank websites higher if they return results that are relevant to the search query. The more relevant the content of website is, the higher the ranking it gets from the Google algorithm.
Search Engine Results Page Items
When a user searches for something on Google the results are shown on a search engine results page (SERP). This page contains several elements, including featured snippets, shopping results, site links, image packs, in depth articles, knowledge cards and panels, local packs, news boxes, and related questions. Getting to the top of the SERP is every marketer’s goal.
Ways to Impress the Algorithm
To optimize your site for a higher ranking on Google, marketers must address the following:
• Creating interesting and relevant content.
• Using an interesting title.
• Using a clear URL that contains appropriate keywords.
• Clear and precise meta descriptions.
• Using Headers and subheaders approrpriately.
• Make pages and content more interesting by using video.
• Make the content easy to understand.
• Use internal links to relevant web pages on and off of your site.
• Provide ways to share content.
• Provide unique content that is relevant to the searcher.
• Ensure the Google spiders have acces to crawl your site.
• Optimize page loading times.
• Make sure to design for moibile devices, then adjust for desktop.
This is Only the Beginning
These are just some of the ways marketers can optimize their websites. Google has over 200 parameters they use to rank websites. Tone of the most important factors for Google is that websites provide relevancy and value to the user. By following Google’s best practices, marketers can optimize websites to provide maximum value and relevancy to search, thereby achieving higher rankings and better visibility on the SERP. These higher rankings will in turn make the websites more relevant and valuable to those who search and to Google as well.
— Robert Vergara
If you enjoyed this healthy marketing post,
Read my last post here.
PLUS– Read about other successful marketing strategies here and